Media and Disinformation
Halifax, Nova Scotia
July 1-4, 2004
to the story!!
Phase 2, Toronto, Canada May 25 30, 2004
0624-Not with a bang
0620-Charlie Brown Election
0530-Hit the road Jose..
0523-the Occam thing...
0507-There I said it again..
0430-again and again...
0423-How many columns...
0416-fish rot from the head
0410-The Box II
Ammo - selection of very good commentary from other writers on important stuff - FAAAAARRRRR BETTER THAN TV!!!
Canadians for Canada Coalition (CCC) - United Left, if you will - but bottom of the line - Get Rid of Corporate Government in Canada - 2004 Federal Election may be your last chance - act NOW PLEASE!!
The Debt Conspiracy Theory Fact - do you believe people who email you from Africa wanting to give you 10 million bucks? No? Well WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THE NATIONAL DEBT IS LEGITIMATE?!?!? (Sorry - I get excited about this...)
911 - as important as the debt scam - ask yourself why you are so afraid to admit the truth here, even when it's been kicking you in the face almost since it happened? When the world you live in is operating under a lie this big and obvious and monstrous, you have no security whatsoever.
Hand of Mordor
George Orwell 1984
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
mama mama who dat scary man mama??!!
HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!
040630-Oh Election Day, eh??!!! HAHAHAHAHA|
Things that are so great about Canada -
Second place could be best - "...Escaping that politically expedient but high-risk relationship is just one of the advantages for the party that falls a few seats short. While its rival struggles to govern - an exercise that usually demands overtly flexible principles and quickly abandoned campaign promises - the runner-up can regroup while it conspires to defeat the government on a favourable issue...." - the context doesn't matter - what matters is that here in the excitement of the Big Election Day commentary we have a writer probably inadvertently starkly revealing the whole point of party politics in Canada - ruling. As opposed to, oh, something like taking care of the people of Canada who they are theoretically representing, which, as we all really know, doesn't matter diddly squat - getting POWER is what it's all about - and those perks that are due to you for the betrayal you are participating in. Even if the party in power was doing pretty good stuff overall (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA) - nonetheless, the first and main job of the opposition party would be seen as getting rid of THEM and getting US in power. Sort of like your basic street gang with three piece suits or skirts or whatever and big office and advertising budgets.
As opposed to - well - the idea that we have a bunch of representatives going to parliament from 308 ridings in Canada, each of whose FIRST responsibility is to the people who elected him or her!!!!!!!
Seriously - competetive team sports are ok as games, but when it comes to running the country, it's a bit more serious, and wouldn't it make a FUCK of a lot more sense to have a bunch of people in our National Government who were simply committed to working together to make our country as good as it could be for ALL of us?????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA man o man o man what a RAD fucking idea!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA BRING ON THE TEAMS GOGOGOGO LIBS GOGOGO CONS HAHAHAHAHAHA
Speaking of "democracy" - election results
- now who would guess from looking at that those plain unembelished numbers that the NDP actully won about 25% more votes than the Bloc? No that ain't a misprint and it's in all the papers.
YEAAAAAA DEMOCRACY!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
- and you wouldn't get the idea from reading the press anyway that anyone actually gives a shit about it. - well, there is the ODD story mentioning it, but never in very favorable terms (like, for instance, the amazing benefits to be gained from "free trade" treaties or lowertaxes lowertaxes LOWERTAXES!!!!!) - this crapola, for instance - Three parties squeezed in first-past-the-post system have chance to change it - "...Layton has fallen in line with the likes of the Green party, the Marijuana party and fringe groups...." (note the message - only "fringe groups" want this nonsense - like the NDP!!!" - or "...In this election, none of the major parties were seriously burned by the system... The Bloc won 17 per cent of the seats on roughly 12 per cent of the vote. The Tories get 32 per cent of the seats on 29 per cent of the vote. The Liberals get 44 per cent of the seats on the basis of 37 per cent of the votes...." - the fine, penetrating analysis we've come to expect from the Canadian media - note how "none of the "major" parties were effected" - obviously, the NDP is not a "major" party in this writer's view - even though they got more of the actual vote than the Bloc the writer is calling a major party, indicating more Canadians like them - for reasons unexplained, a "fringe" party from Quebec running candidates in only one province and getting 12% of the national vote is a "major" party though - and it's not quite fair to say they were "not affected" by the FPTP system - they were affected quite favorably, as they actually should have gotten something closer to 35 seats rather than over 50, so they pretty much benefitted - hard to see them wanting to change the system, anyway - those who benefit so well from something evil or nasty rarely want to change things - like you're not going to hear bankers clamoring to expose the National Debt scam anytime soon HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA - and no, the "cons" aren't going to be in any hurry either - recall Mulroney and 88 - there would be no "free trade" if we'd had PR in those days. And no NAFTA (hard to imagine the NDP selling out as quickly as Chretien did on his own anyway ....)
Democracy sure don't mean the same to me as it evidently does to either the press folk (which I understand) as to mrmsjoeblow, which I DON'T understand so well - all the ideas I have that explain this phenomena are very uncomplimentary, and I am trying to be nicer. I can see it's going to be a struggle, as always - getting older and fucking grumpier anyway sure ain't helpin matters).
- ahhhh - getting too tied up with too many things to think straight - here's one I didn't think of (and you sure ain't gonna encounter in the corporate propaganda press hereabouts - Did photo-finish panic bust NDP breakthrough? - Pollsters have some explaining to do by Mel Watkins - "....Mostly, I got suckered by the pollsters. In truth, they've got some major explaining to do. Remember all those headlines at the end about a dead heat between the Liberals and Conservatives... One possibility, actually, is that all the predictions of a race too close to call caused voters to panic at the possibility of a Harper government and to abandon the NDP for the Liberals..." - mmmhmmm. if we were bettin folks, and could strap a few people down to a friendly surgical table and apply a wee shot of a harmless but effective drug (sodium pentathol sort of thing) and ask some folks a few questions - well - wouldn't that be just interesting???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA - and by the by, Mel ain't yer average CT (conspiracy theorist) - he's right there on the "that darn Saddam buffaloed the whole US military machine from his little cave in Afghanistan" bandwagon for 911, and apparently thinks the National Debt is just the natural workings of the Canadian economy....
And another great, great thing about Canada we didn't hear much from either our Great Democratic Politicians or the Great Democratic Canadian Media during this "campaign" - secret trials - if we keep it up, sometime in the future they'll be writing great stuff about Canada - "Yep, grandson, back there in those terrible days when the world was getting ready for another great struggle against fascism, there was Canada right in the middle, joining the great fascist governments of the time, especially the US, in stopping those they called enemies in any way possible - such as the very infamous "secret trials" of the day, setting the precedent for expansion and justification of the evil to spread everywhere....." - Zundel trial won't hear from judge - the whole story is amazing, but "...Mr. Zundel's deportation was ordered under a rarely used security certificate, a process by which the Canadian Security Intelligence Service can provide information in secret sessions.... The Zundel defence team is not privy to the information, yet it must still convince Judge Blais that it is unreliable..." - are you catching the meaning of these words?!?!?!?! - in the Secret Trial, the defence is NOT being told what the charges are - but if they cannot refute those charges, their client is guilty!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA - I can just see ol Joe Stalin's little grin from here. He definitely approves.
On this "Canada Day" weekend - Oh Canada, I hang my head in shame at what has become of my home and native land....
Election? Did anyone anywhere anytime during this great opportunity of an election campaign to say what kind of Canada we want to live in express a bit of outrage at this shit in Canada????? Not that I heard..... about all you can figure from that is that everyone figures it's ok - I mean to say, in terms of importance, this trumps - or SHOULD - bigtime things like the "gun registry" or "gay marriage" or "inheritance tax" or most of the other "issues" people were blabbering about. Not a good sign. Let's not forget - about 90% of Germans thought Hitler was absolutely great during the runup period.....
Here's a good piece (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO PUN A!!!!) - Friends come to aid of smeared journalist - Antonia is always worth reading, you can tell because she almost NEVER makes it to the opinion page of the online version of the Star, ya gotta go lookin - this is kind of an aside - but she notes at one place "....Some 200 friends and colleagues are hoping to raise enough money to ease Cameron's crushing "$117,000 and growing" legal burden as she fights to protect her reputation from further attack by the legal team representing Karlheinz Schreiber, the businessman now battling extradition to Germany, where he faces fraud charges...." - so let's have a hand here too for Canada's great wonderful legal system - "everyone is equal under the law" !!!!! - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA - that is to say, of course, those who can afford it - and if ya can't?? FUCK YA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! - sort of like running for parliament - open to everyone (with the bucks!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA)
- a bit later on, Antonia gets in a couple of GREAT digs at how things work in this country (the censors probably missed them, censors not being the sharpest knives in ANY drawer they're found in...) - "....Cameron continued digging into the story, eventually authoring The Last Amigo: Karlheinz Schreiber And The Anatomy Of A Scandal. Meanwhile, the RCMP, which had relied on Cameron's research in its, you should pardon the expression, "investigation," had, apparently without her knowledge, designated her a confidential informant which many people saw as a breach of, you should pardon this one too, "journalistic ethics."..."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA - RIGHT ON ANTONIA!!!!! - sort of a rude lady there, in daring to say such things!!! - I suppose I better watch out - as soon as the new corporate owners find out what she's doing, she'll have to start a website or something - The Rude Greek!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA - love ya kid!!!
- ahhh - another piece in the puzzle becomes more clear - Strategic voters critical - the usual, about how voters are "....Strategic voting involves supporting a candidate other than your first choice, perhaps to send a message to the party in power, to keep another party from winning or to bolster the parliamentary clout of a third party..." - now, I believed this shit for awhile, even sort of supported the idea a bit now and then, such as suggesting it be done at various times in the past - but I've been thinking about it a bit more and, as a guy who likes to probe around in dark corners looking for the REAL reasons things are working the way they are, it occurs to me that this "strategic voting" shit is getting oversold just a bit - and then BOINGO!!! or whatever, the light appears in the dark! - you see, what "strategic voting" was to me, was - when, for instance, the Libs and NDP are supporting the same policies against a strong in-power government (think the 1988 Free Trade Election) - then ONE of the parties withdraws a candidate in a particular riding where the other party's candidate is the best chance, and they combine their resources to defeat the dangerous guy, like Mulroney! - but nononono!!! - that never happened - my own grasshopperness showing itself, my own innocence and naivete, thinking other people actually mean what they say sometimes (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT A FUCKING IDIOT I TOLD YA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!
But what it all is, is just another way to get people to keep voting for Bay St, and NOT turn to the natural People's Party, insofar as Canada has one, the NDP (they are NOT perfect, far from it - but at least they are mostly on our side, whereas the Libs and Republican-northers are most assuredly not). I mean that is to say, think about it - the normal thought process, it seems to me, would be something like - "Hmmmm - really fed up with the Libs, and no way I want somebody who wants to turn us into Americans officially running the country - maybe it's time to give that Layton guy a chance - he talks ok...." - but NOW - HAHAHAHAHA - we are supposed to believe the "natural" thought pattern is more like - "Well - don't really care for the way the Libs have been acting the last few years - and maybe I'd like to give the NDP people a chance - but golly gee them Harper Conservatives are SOOOOO darn scary, I guess I better vote for the Libs to make sure the Harperites don't get elected!!!"
Read that again. Make sense to you????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA - let's ratio that in a legal sort of sense - "Hmmmm - I really dislike option A, and option B scares the shit out of me, and option C sounds pretty good - so the obviously best thing to do is vote for option A."
I mean - any shrink would want you put in a safe place where they could observe you for awhile with that kind of "thinking", right????
- but after months of reading about option A in the press and hearing it on the tv - and never ONCE reading or hearing about the natural option C - well, what's a person going to do, especially one who has been raised on tv, and raised to do what that talking box suggests over and over and over and over again - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hey martha lets get off down to the mall there y'know, lots of great sales this weekend..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA - and then add in the additional factor of suspicious polls a la Mel above.....
And the clincher - the writer of this piece feels that political commentators are writers are "artists" - "....Johnston said speculation by pundits and political scientists about strategic voting helped crystallize the concept among ordinary voters.... "There's a sense that life is imitating art," he said...." No shit. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA - this is right up there with the "jounalistic excellence" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA awards - these guys really love themselves!!!!!! - I guess that would be some pretty fertile ground for shrinks these days too - although, actually, come to think of it, shrinks would probably understand these guys pretty good too, since their job is pretty much the same - keeping the good guys with real brains and ethics from threatening the evil fucks running the place..... (yea yea they go after the odd psycho too - the psychos threaten the evil fucks like the ethically sound ones do...)
More of the propaganda matrix - Election results a freeze-frame in history by Chantal Hebert - in which she says "...In 1988, Canadians elected a majority Tory government...." !!!!!!!! - this is the current mythology - but Canadians did no such thing!!!! - the people who run the electoral process forced a majority government on us, even though a solid majority of Canadians actually voted to get rid of Mulroney and his so-called "free trade" treaty!!!! - but the constant barrage of propaganda we get from the corporate press tells us that we elected a majority government!
Maybe the real artists had it better - that old song by some Bonnie girl would fit at this time, and Canada under the neocons, pretty well, sorta like when you see your true love or one of your kids or something out in front of the bar with the lowlifes ....
It's a heartache, nothing but a heartache, nothing but a fool's game.....
- laugh or go crazy - like the Iraq "handover" the same day as the Canadian election - done in stealth and lies like everything else the US gets up to these days - but just think what an amazing force for GOOD in the world the US COULD be if they wanted to, if their country had anything whatsofuckingever to do with their consitution - a country like Iraq being a perfect example - march the troops of the greatest military power to the borders, and in if need be, not shooting or bombing, just the BIG guy coming around doing what he wanted, only this time for good - yea, if the "bad" guys start shooting they defend themselves, but only to the immediate provocation - and what they do, is they get the "good" guys in the country to start putting together a democratic government, with their protection - they say the people in the country have pretty much all the freedoms they need, with one exception - no violence will be tolerated from anyone - nobody can coerce others through violence in any way, and such violence will attract the wrath of the greatest military power history has ever seen - and let the wheels of democracy start rolling. A full and free press - if it needed financial support to get going, fine, but violence against the journalists would not be tolerated. All kinds of voices would be heard - you can't start censoring, you have to let those who will lie lie, and the citizens learn to separate the bullshit from the good stuff themselves - most people have the ability to do this, although not all use it, as Canada demonstrates so well. Over a couple of years a democracy would emerge, and the violence would subside - the "bad" guys wouldn't have much to go on - world opinion would be completely against them, and completely ON the side of those working to create a democracy.
Such a contrast to the complete farce going on there now, when most people in the world understand that what the US is doing is actually suppressing any attempt at a real democracy, so they can continue to control Iraq, both as an oil source and, more importantly, as a major base of operations in the middle east, which is very important strategically for anyone who has their eye on being a (or the) major world power, as do the PNAC people. (many good articles on this - a couple if you haven't run across any - Tuck Tail and Run, by William Rivers Pitt on Truthout, and The Handover: Restoration of Iraqi sovereignty - or Alice in Wonderland? by Robert Fisk)
We are SOOOOOO close to having a good world!!!! It is SOOOOO frustrating to see everyone behaving like children, and letting the bullies and psychotics and berserkers run the show! When are we gonna grow up?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Man I need another beer. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(And bite ma tongue martha! - as usual a step behind - here in the Star (where they do still try sometimes to do good stuff) - Putting a new face on voting - some good words about PR. Way to go Star. Don't stop now.
040624-Not with a bang...
Response needed to Klein's threat - so Ralph wants "... "more patient participation in financing health care" ..." - well, geez, somebody ought to stand right up and say out loud - "Hey, Ralphie! - I (that'd be Mr/Ms Average Canadian) - I paid over $20,000 bucks in taxes last year! (I base this on the very reliable Fraser Institute idea (nudgenudgewinkwink HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... sorry!!!!! - but, as they say, live by the sword die by the sword or whatever) that "tax free" day comes sometime in mid-June, and the average Canadian family income is around $50,000, according to most stats (mymymy that serendipity song again - here the next very day in the Star - Ontario Tax Freedom Day falls on June 27) - I thought I already WAS participating quite a bit!!!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA - but of course, nobody ever will - or maybe somebody MIGHT, but they would NEVER get a small box in any of the national media to do so. For some odd reason HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I wonder if we might consider asking the Canadian corporate sector who are still in the midst of laughing all the way to the banks HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH about the 100 Billion dollar tax break a couple years ago - or those banks and "investors" who are STILL raking in 50++BILLION per year in "service charges" on the National Debt Scam, for that matter) - if THEY might "participate" a bit more in maintaining the Canadian health care system rather than continually whining about lowertaxes lowertaxes lowertaxes etcetcetc blahhhhh - they are, after all, prime beneficiaries OF the Canadian health care system in that they don't have to provide very pricey medical insurance for their employees, as do most American firms, for instance .... oh well, nobody ever said that the same traits that allow one to accumulate great wealth (primarily a lack of morals or ethics and an attitude of "me first fuck you jack") had much to do with intelligent behaviour....
Serious - if you still think Osama, with his HQ in a cave in the Afghanistan mountains, did the 911 stuff all by himself, and the US Air Force spent two hours running around in confusion with their heads up their asses just not knowing what to do that day, and the big towers all fall down go boom because of a few thousand litres of burning kerosene most of which was consumed in the first few minutes in the impact fireballs - maybe it's time you stepped out of the sandbox for awhile.
Geezus sidetracked again!!! - didn't finish with Simpson and the Green Party - don't lose sight of the original question - isn't it just a bit suspicious that the Green Party has so much money available right now, and are getting so much media attention, when they are drawing votes away from potential NDP supporters who don't even realise that the NEW Greens are sort of Harper-lite, just when the NDP MIGHT have been the place where voters completely pissed off at the Libs and still not liking the New North Republicans might have turned?!?!?!?!
OF COURSE IT IS!!!!!! - but Canadians aren't going to think about that if someone in the Sun or the Blob or the Star doesn't tell them to first, which, I can assure you, is NOT gonna happen anytime quick.
Not with a bang, not with a bang, not with a bang - but a whimper.*
That will be on the RIP Canada stone in the Great Universal Graveyard for countries that had a chance to be great but decided to suicide themselves instead in the service of their corrupt masters. Or in fear thereof - don't much matter - same result - neither the stupid nor the fearful make good heroes - or role models for others.
Ain't that right god? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
*(yeayea - it's TS Elliot, a poem called, I think, The Hollow Men - but don't hold me to that - it's been a loooooong time!!!!)
Justice Louis Brandeis
I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.
"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed..." -Steven Biko
- and insofar as this grasshopper understands it, so it is.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr Seuss - man he was smart....... I gotta read some of that stuff again ..... that's almost as good a play on words as the great old line about comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.....
George Orwell: During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. (Upton Sinclair - great writer - reading stuff like this helps understand how the problems of today are NOT new!!! - and is a clear indication of the truth of the old saying that he who does not know history is destined to repeat it, or whatever)
"Your failure to be informed does not make me a wacko." John Loeffler
Write if ya want (ya gotta take the xxx off the front - I'm trying to reduce the intake from the spam assholes (oh yes you fucking are - it is NOT amusing - get a fucking life why don't you, instead of bothering people - how fucking stupid can you be?? If you were the last fucking product on earth I wouldn't buy anything from you!! Fuck.)).
What direct action did you take today to do something to get rid of corporate government in Canada besides deleting spam? Do you feel that it was enough, given the situation? Will you feel content telling that to your grandchildren, should they survive, and the country, and the planet?
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: With thanks to the Editors of the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, Ottawa Citizen, Ch'town Guardian, Vancouver Sun, and others I cannot think of at the moment, for their refusal to print my letters over the last few years on various issues of national import - had I even a hope of being printed occasionally in these fora and my voice acknowledged in the national debate, I would undoubtedly not have bothered putting all this together. Cheers!