1130-Justice for Sam?
1115-Deficit or delusion?
1031-Ghouls & Ganja
1018-What's that smell Ma?
current Top Of The List!
Change - we know the problem - what the fuck are we going to DO about it is the question...??
Ammo - selection of very good commentary from other writers on important stuff; - FAAAAARRRRR BETTER THAN TV!!!
Canadians for Canada Coalition (CCC) - United Left, if you will - but bottom of the line - Get Rid of Corporate Government in Canada - 2004 Federal Election may be your last chance - act NOW PLEASE!!
The Debt Conspiracy Theory Fact - do you believe people who email you from Africa wanting to give you 10 million bucks? No? Well WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THE NATIONAL DEBT IS LEGITIMATE?!?!? (Sorry - I get excited about this...)
911 - as important as the debt scam - ask yourself why you are so afraid to admit the truth here, even when it's been kicking you in the face almost since it happened? When the world you live in is operating under a lie this big and obvious and monstrous, you have no security whatsoever.
Word Warriors and Others of Note
Unbrand Your Life
Hand of Mordor
Happy Canada Day
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human
face - forever.
George Orwell 1984
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
mama mama who dat scary man mama??!!
HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!
031212 - Iceberg you say? HAHAHAHAA!!!
They rant I rant - again a right-wing columnist complains about the "left-lib dominated Canadian media" - I try to correct him - there will be no answer, I predict, certainly nothing printed - the thing is, I (and people like me) would LOVE to have an open debate about this kind of thing, any issue you want to think of, really - but the right-wing freaks do NOT want to debate anything, they just want to scream out what they want people to do day after day after day after fucking day with NO dissenting voices allowed - it's pretty obvious why - they know well that MOST people in the country do NOT subscribe to their short-sighted, selfish elitist ideas and would reject them out of hand given a choice, which is why it is necessary to brainwash people as much as possible - and control of the media, in the modern world, is part of that brainwashing, and the marginalisation or outright exclusion of opposing voices an equally necessary part of the control. Which is why the internet is so great, and why I fear for its future, once more people start cluing in to the free flow of information here, and start to understand how fucking BADLY they've been fucked around by their leaders for a LONG time. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyways - the letter:
December 12 2003
Dear Editor/Bob MacDonald,
RE: Liberal-friendly media slam united right By BOB MACDONALD -- Toronto Wed Dec. 10 2003 RM archive copy
Once again I am forced to laugh in disbelief as a writer in the Canadian media slams that media for being "lib-lefty" dominated - it would be most enlightening if you could expand on that accusation just a bit, since MY perception - and that of most "lefties" I know (I would not call myself "liberal" any longer, for reasons I will touch on in a minute) - is just the opposite - we feel that the majority of the Canadian media has shifted markedly to the "right-wing" perspective over the last 20 years or so, and there are hardly any sane "lefty" voices to be found at all in the Canadian media anymore, outside of the pages of the Toronto Star!
Let me briefly answer some of the things you write, in demonstration of what I say.
First, to begin your "lib-lefty" accusation, you complain that "...Throughout the campaigns to unite Canada's two conservative parties ... our heavily lib-left media ha(s) emphasised the negatives...". Well, let's have just a quick look - I don't have time to go back through months of headlines, but a quick look at a few from the last couple of days shows:
Dissidents dismissed: Harper focused on building unity
Nova Scotians irked by Brison's move
True to form, Clark goes out a loser
Merge then stay right
Build a new party and people will come
Fractured right heals itself
MONTREAL GAZETTE - Credible alternative in the making
NATIONAL POST - Making it a race
LONDON FREE PRESS - Leadership key for new party
SUDBURY STAR - New national Conservative Party offers stability to Canadian political circus
WINNIPEG SUN - Right unites
SASKATOON STARPHOENIX - Tory diehards too pessimistic
EDMONTON SUN - Out with the old
VANCOUVER SUN - Once again, Joe Clark displays an inability to handle reality
NATIONAL POST - The real story going forward is that nine out of 10 members of both parties decided to co-operate in future by voting to merge now
NATIONAL POST - Yesterday's Tories
VANCOUVER SUN - Brison's hasty, selfish move does voters a disservice
- now Bob, that is just a SMALL selection from the last couple of days, that I could lay my hands on easily, and I challenge you to find a "lib-left anti-unite-the-right" bias in any of the above (they are all quite the reverse, actually) - which cover, you might note, the entire country, from Vancouver through Edmonton and Saskatchewan through Sudbury, London, Toronto and Montreal to Halifax - and I know I have read, over the last little while, similar stories from EVERY province and major city and media outlet, in quantity. Yes indeed, there have been a +few columnists who have written disparagingly about the "unite-the-right" move - but they are FAR from representing any kind of majority opinion (as expressed in the pages of the nation's media). This has been the dominant kind of perspective since the whole idea started a few months ago, and were we to undertake a comprehensive survey of headlines over this time I think you know as well as I the great majority of coverage would be from the same favourable perspective. Prove me wrong!!
So now that we see it is quite easy to demonstrate a decidedly "conservative" and favourable “news story” outlook on the "unite-the-right" movement, rather than lib-left across-the-board condemnation as you accuse the nation's media of, secondly concerning the "lib-left" bias of the media, let's come at it from another direction, and think of the columnists writing in Canada's papers - again, we can't possibly look in a short letter at everyone whose byline appears over an opinion piece, but what about those represented in the major media in the country? I would direct you to these internet sites, which feature probably most, if not all, of the major Canadian columnists writing today in the Canadian media:
National Post/Financial Post Columnists (NP also represents CanWest, as you know, the Asper chain, who do not have a listing of their own re columnists, but do have info here Canwest info )
Canoe columnists (Sun papers)
Toronto Star columnists
Globe and Mail columnists
- now please, Bob, you undoubtedly know more of these people than I do, but, outside of the Toronto Star page which does have, one must admit, a bit of a centrist basis (I could go into a long aside on this, but that is not the point of this letter - but to call the Star "lib-lefty" these days is to misstate the case considerably - the entire political debate in Canada has been dragged considerably to "the right" over the last 20 years, and although the Star is admittedly the major Canadian outlet for the "left" edge of that spectrum, it is still pretty much in the middle of the political field, if you get my meaning - they have as many or more columnists supporting "conservative" notions such as "free trade" or lower taxes or joining Bush's campaign in Iraq as they do opposing them (do you +really want to call Richard Gwyn a "lib-lefty"?!?!?), and there is nobody writing there you could +legitimately+ call some kind of "lefty socialist", leaving hysteria and rhetoric aside for a minute, in the comparable sense that one might call any number of columnists for ALL of the other papers rabid right-wingers - names such as Diane Francis, Terence Corcoran, John Ibbotson, Margaret Wente or Elizabeth Nickerson come readily to mind - there are many, many more...), one would be hard-pressed - VERY hard-pressed - to find a regular "lib-lefty" voice in the non-Star sea of right-wing oratory put out by these people - go on, have a look! - and throw out a few names for us to examine their "lib-lefty" nonsense - or perhaps we could just contact the editors of these publications and ask them to give us the names of their "lib-left" staff writers (I expect the editorial board of the Post, the Globe, or any of the Sun or Canwest papers would have a good chuckle at that! - if they weren't so insulted they would sue, at any rate...). Well, I am getting facetious - as you well know, outside of the odd token guest columnist, these papers are solidly somewhere between right-wing and FAR right-wing in political stance, both editorially and through their columnists, and I would challenge you to demonstrate otherwise before slinging around any more wild accusations about the "lib-left" Canadian media.
Yes, of course, there have been a few stories in most media concerning Joe Clark's refusal to accept the merger, or about David Orchard's move to stop it, which seemed to offend you - but surely these are newsworthy things in the Canadian political happenings of the day that the media should cover - so what is your problem with this? - but as shown above, their opinions have certainly not dominated anything. Is it that, like the current American Republicans and their Faux “media” clones from where you people seem to get a lot of your direction, you can tolerate no dissenting voices at all - even when those voices actually represent a majority of popular opinion (on all the issues I have touched on and more, most Canadians are not in agreement with the right-wing stance but are indeed somewhere around the center - they want improved health care rather than ever lower taxes, for instance, and are generally approving that Canada did not rush off madly to invade Iraq behind George Bush, etc and etc)?? That is hardly democratic-sounding, but it certainly appears to be your position, reading between the lines of your words. And in truth, as the headlines above show (and there are, of course, many, many more the same) that although a few stories covered the activities of Orchard and Clark, the general editorial and columnist stance was solidly against them, and in favor of the merger - and to pretend otherwise is (to put it politely) simply to either ignore or be ignorant of the facts.
(In a related sense, I do not touch on the CBC here, being more interested in print media and commenting thereon in this letter, but again, all surveys and examinations seem to indicate that the CBC is +balanced+ in its presentation of news - that is, it does indeed feature voices from "the left", and it may be argued that some of the management have a “leftist" outlook on things (as the management of the Globe, Post, Sun and Canwest have a decidedly “rightist" outlook) - but at least as many, if not more, from "the right" (check out, for instance, the number of opinions supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq last winter vs the opinions opposing it - I will guarantee right now that the CBC had more commentators supporting it, even though most Canadians recognised that Bush was lying about his reasons and opposed his military incursion - but at least the CBC had voices from both sides, and I will equally guarantee that Canwest and the Sun and even the Globe carried virtually NO voices opposing that invasion, a FAR LESS balanced coverage than the CBC....) - which seems to offend you people to no end - very unlike the right-wing newspapers I talk about here, primarily Canwest and the Sun, where, very contrary to your assertions, a voice from the “center-left” is almost impossible to find - almost no balance at all to the right-wing demands for lower taxes, privatised health care, ever closer ties to America, "free" trade, etc and etc. Why do you apparently demand, through your constant complaining about anyone who dares disagree with you, that only your voices and opinions are ever to be heard in the Canadian media, and go off on such hysterics every time you see a contrary opinion - would it not be better, and more democratic, to respond to the arguments and views raised through ongoing debate rather than try to have the offending voice silenced?? (possible answer - you know very well that your opinions are not shared by most Canadians - but if your opinions and demands and one-sided interpretation of what is happening in Canada and what needs to be done about it are the ONLY ones Canadians hear or read, then they will be less likely to form independent opinions opposing yours...??? Your obvious fear of such contrary voices would seem to indicate this - we from the “lib-left” welcome debate - why are you so intent on stifling it????).
One other of your comments especially struck me, coming from a "conservative" who would presumably be rather strong on moral/ethical issues - you say, without further comment, that "...MacKay was often portrayed as the guy who broke his word with Orchard regarding unification..." - well, black and white, Bob, bottom line - did the man blatantly break a fairly important promise (one that was central in getting him elected leader of the party can hardly be considered an oath of no consequence!) within months of making it, in public, or did he not? Does that not bother you at all, regardless of any other political views? How do you suppose that you or anyone else can trust the man concerning any other promises he may make in the future - or Harper for that matter - or anyone else who is going along with this oath-breaker? They will obviously feel free to break any other promises they may make in the future at will, simply by saying, unilaterally, that things have changed, or claiming the greater good (as personally defined!), whatever! For me, at least, however, serious promises carry considerably more weight than that - but if that kind of casual attitude towards a man’s word is part of the "new conservatism", let me predict that you are not going to have many converts once people start thinking about how it works in reality - even in this cynical age, I know that many, and probably most, Canadians are trying to maintain decent lives in decent communities - and a central part of a decent life for anyone is keeping your word when you give it to someone, and being able to rely on people around you to keep their word when they give it to you (how indeed could we have a civilised society if all someone had to say to cancel any bond or contract or promise was "Oh! Haha!! That contract no longer applies - I changed my mind about following it! Tough luck - hope you're not too inconvenienced or it didn't cost you too much - but I don't really care hahaha!! byebye sucker!"). This casual dismissal of integrity is not sitting very well with a lot of people, let me tell you (Joe Clark showed the integrity he has always been respected for by NOT accepting McKay's "right" to behave in this way, or his rather pathetic justifications for doing so) - and think about the promises your "new conservatives" are going to make in the next election, and think about explaining to the people of Canada that the "New Conservative" party does not feel that keeping promises is an important value in the modern world or in Canada in the 21st century.
(We might note the continually falling voter turnout the last few years - do you suppose that has anything to do with lying politicians?? I certainly do..... and this isn’t going to help any, I think...)
Not something I would want to have to be doing myself, Bob, not me, nosiree. But then, most of what you right wing people get up to is not very attractive to me, so I guess that is no big surprise.
Regardless, I go on at length, and I do fear I am probably talking to a wall, as the old saying has it - as I show for one instance briefly above, the record of the past couple of decades seems to indicate that many if not most of the writers such as yourself who write in the Canadian right-wing media have little interest in factual representation of what is happening in the country - it seems that you regard politics as some sort of game, and you will root for "the home team" forever, with the same jingoistic fervour of "our team good your team bad and we will say any old kind of nonsense that makes our team look good and make up all kinds of stories to make the other team look bad with no regard to the truth or facts" - i.e. this constant whining about a non-existent “left-lib-dominated media in Canada" - regardless of what they do or who is on the team or how things change over the years. For things do indeed change, Bob, and have changed a lot in Canada since the great right-wing reactionary revolution went fully public in Canada with the election of Mulroney in 1984, and continued on that path with Chretien in 1993 after the Canadian people finally saw what Mulroney was really up to and gave him the biggest boot in Canadian history. As any honest, able-to-think-for-themselves student of politics in Canada must acknowledge, the federal Liberal party is now the party of "the conservative right", with the Chretien-Martin agenda of tax cuts, “free” trade and “globalisation”, and reducing spending on the social support system of Canadians to levels not seen since 1950, as Martin himself bragged about a few months ago. How you people can continue to pretend that the Liberal party represents any political area around the "center-left" continues to amaze me - but I suspect you have your reasons - most Canadians depend on this very media for explication of the issues, and being fed the Sun and Canwest papers every day in most communities in the country, do not really understand well about this, an Alice-in-Wonderland or through-the-looking-glass backwards impression of what is happening in Canada constantly reinforced by your right-wing media and right-wing columnists (such as yourself, Bob! - surely you wouldn't include Bob MacDonald as part of the "lib-left" media overrunning the country!!!! - or do you feel all alone there on the Sun page of columnists!!! hahahaha - small joke - as you well know, you fit right in with people like Ted Byfield and Walter Robinson, Douglas Fisher, Greg Weston, Paul Jackson, Christina Blizzard, and all the rest - go on!! outside of the token lefty David Suzuki, name me another Sun lib-lefty!!! Or a couple from the Canwest group - or even the Globe!! - Go on!! I dare ya!!!).
Oh well, I indulge myself too much, as we lefties tend to do, not being tied down by sound-bite and money-money-money-time-is-money the-market-rules imperatives and stuff like that, and we both know very well that such a letter as this will NEVER be published in the Sun, or the Canwest papers (Jonas did his dutiful right-wing dogmatic rant about the lib-left dominated Canadian media as well a few months ago, to which I also replied, which letter was also not printed or even acknowledged), since it questions things you people do not want questioned, and in ways that point out the fallacy (to use a polite word) of your positions, so I'll leave off for now.
But a small challenge nonetheless if you dare - respond to this in some way, and try some facts rather than imaginary sour-grapes-in-the-sky rhetoric to make your case for a "lib-lefty" dominated media in Canada, in response to the case that I have, in a small way, outlined above, that the media is actually right-wing dominated. Perhaps we could pick a range of issues of the day - same-sex marriage, gun control, the "war" in Iraq, terrorism, privatising health care - things like that, that have a rather obvious "lefty-righty" split of opinion - and then take a few minutes and make lists of the positions of the major media and columnists on them, and see which side generally gets the most space on a day-to-day basis? I certainly feel that the right-wing position is heavily favored in the Canadian media overall, with the acknowledged exception of certain small pockets of "lefty" opinion, primarily the Toronto Star - but if I am wrong about this, I would certainly like to know - heck, it would free up a lot of my time if the "lefty" perspective that I write from myself was indeed being well represented in the Canadian media, as I would no longer feel this obligation to write to people like you and the papers in Canada concerning correcting the false impressions that the rightwing media usually presents about all kinds of things (oddly enough, since ALL of my letters are, like this, rather "lib-left" in perspective, you'd think some of them would get printed in the "lib-left" media - but they never are!!!).
A final sort of litmus test to anticipate the argument you would be sure to make were you to respond to this - you people always say that the Canadian people have shifted rightward politically, and you are thus simply representing popular opinion - but what about health care? Poll after poll after poll shows that somewhere around 70-80+% of Canadians want a fully funded, well-functioning public health care system restored to Canada - and yet, with the lone exception of the Star again, ALL of the other media in Canada, and 99% of the non-Star columnists, are pushing for more and more privatisation of that health care system. Would you care to reconcile those facts with the contention that you people are simply reflecting public opinion in Canada, rather than actually trying to shape it?
Cheers!!!, as my Brit friends say -
[[aka RM HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!]]
(Canadian citizen, Ontario and PEI, came here with CUSO in 1994, now teaching)
+=+=+=+=30-30-30-30-+=+=+=+=HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA stupid computers
More stuff - and more and more and more - fuck it just NEVER stops - can't write or read fast enough to keep up with them - they're really pushing these days - I fear they're getting something big ready for next year, I really do - think exponentials when you say it doesn't seem that serious just yet. There are various sayings around from wise people from every human era that say you should be trying to enjoy your life as much as possible day by day by day, because you can never know what the future brings - I do hope you're all doing that - 1 or 2 or 3 years from now, we may be looking back at these days, and thinking just how fucking GOOD they were - HAHAHAHAHAAAA. Think about it..... that is not to say stop fighting or anything, we can never do that, for that is for sure when they win and we lose - but try to get some good stuff in your life each day too, the good stuff that is still here for us, some precious moments, whatever is precious to you and gives you good feelings, even some just ordinary pleasant moments, whatever does it for you - turn that fucking tv off for awhile (forever is ok), spend a few minutes with someone you really like, with no other purpose than doing that, spending a bit of time together, relaxed, comfortable together, no pressure, forget about the fucking job and the bills and going to the mall - or go outside by yourself for a bit of a walk and think alone, and look at the natural things around you (yea even in the fucking winter you can look at the trees and spend a looooooooong time thinking how amazing they are, the bark and the buds and the roots, and the chickadee or bluejay sitting on that branch, and the eyes you are seeing them all with), and just consciously realise how fucking amazing it all is, life and the planet and the universe and yes the amazing accomplishments of our species - that car, your house, the clothes you wear, your computer, your eyeglasses, the book in your hand, whatever - fucking amazing man!!! - don't take it all for granted, realise how amazing it is and be thankful for all the really good and smart and caring people who made it all possible, and think that maybe you should take some kind of action today to make sure all that good stuff isn't just destroyed for you and your family and your kids and everybody else because of the actions of a relatively small group of really really really bad fuckers - and believe me, somebody else ain't going to save you - if WE survive as a species, as FREE people, it will be because YOU HELP to save us. Neo and Obi Wan and Captain fucking Kirk and the Lone Ranger are in the movies - but you ain't living in the movies. My friend.
That's weird - Darth Vader and the fucking Klingons managed to get out of the movies and inhabit the White House and corporate boardrooms at the CCCE and various other places on the planet, but OUR guys didn't. Fuck. That's not right - they're out there somewhere - inside all of us maybe, maybe captured and stuck in the egg-tank like Neo was - something. Frodo didn't think he was a hero either - but look what he did. Maybe it's spirit stuff - there's more bad vibes floating around out there, with everybody feeling money pressure and road rage and George and his buds bombing the fuck out of everything and killing and maiming - maybe if we all did more GOOD stuff to counteract those bad vibes things would improve - maybe -
Great - and once you've done that - well - there's lots of shit going on to deal with too HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA -
US bombing kills Afghan children US forces have admitted - "...The US sent in an A-10 'Warthog' after receiving intelligence mistakenly killing nine children when they bombed a target in southern Afghanistan...." - RM archive copy. I don't know - is it ok to kill nine kids and then say goshdarn we're sorry (winkwink - they didn't LOOK all that fucking sorry....)?? What if the Palestinians did that? Or the IRA? Or anybody else who was on our official "We don't like THEM guys" list? Is it relevant that they're just poor Afghani kids and obviously FAR less valuable than American kids? Would if be ok if Osama said he was sorry and will you guys get the fuck out of our countries now - you've done FAR more fucking damage than we did and killed FAR more fucking people, so let's call it even???? Saddam?? Hitler? (HAHAHAHAHAAAA - just a joke!!!!!) MAYBE (and that is a +++BIG maybe) if this was the very first time such a thing had happened, and they could show there really was a seriously good reason such a mistake had happened, we MIGHT consider their excuses - but this is an old, old, old story - so old, indeed, that you have to say it is policy - maybe not intentionally targeting civilian kids (although we cannot rule that out - they certainly were targeting civilian infrastructure in Yugoslavia a couple of years ago, and admitted it) - but dropping bombs when and where they will, and if civilians, including kids, die - well - who gives a fuck - they're only towelheads, after all - I do remember one American excuse from the Yugoslavia bombing - they actually said at one time that people should just darn well KNOW where the Americans were likely to be dropping bombs, so if they didn't get the fuck out of the way, well - hell, it's their own goddam fault, man - your basic bully attitude - we got the biggest sticks and we hit who the fuck we want - and if you don't like it - HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA WHO GIVES A FUCK ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems to be the case, anyway - or there wouldn't be so much of it, would there? (Hey - two fucking days later!!! - 6 children die in raid on Afghan compound - Second botched U.S. strike in a week. There will be a time in the future when the Americans will be right up there in the annals of barbaric behaviour with such luminous names as Attila the Hun or Genghis Khan or the Vikings or Pol Pot. If, of course, they don't completely eradicate life on the planet first - a very real possibility.
- speaking of Americans - U.S. refugee who smokes pot to fight rare cancer loses bid to stay in Canada - "...An American refugee who feared being persecuted at home for smoking pot to fight a rare form of cancer has lost his bid to stay in Canada... Steve Kubby did not have reasonable grounds to fear cruel and unusual punishment and therefore does not need protection, the Immigration and Refugee Board ruled Monday. "There are no substantial grounds to believe that his removal to the United states will subject him personally to a danger of torture," adjudicator Paulah Dauns said in her written decision... - well, there's your Canadian "see-dick-fuck-spot isn't it just a LOVELY world, children, and ALL the things in the books are TRUE politicians would NEVER lie ohmygodNO and the policemen REALLY help the nice citizens ohmygodYES!!!!!!" schooling in action - completely clueless about conditions in American prisons, probably getting her info from an American "Justice" department PowerPointPresentation or something - evidently unaware that the American gov't officially holds pot-smoking to be only slightly less evil than "terrorism" and their 3rd-world-style prisons are overflowing with people whose HEINOUS crime was smoking a joint - has she heard of the "War on Drugs"? How about Cheech a few months ago getting tossed in the slammer for selling things that MIGHT be used to smoke dope with? Torture??? Is being denied medication necessary to keep you alive torture?? Some might think so - obviously not this lady.
And speaking of torture - there's been a lot of increasingly insane stuff going on around here the last little while, but this about takes the cake, as they used to say - (Western countries must acknowledge torture is a necessary evil, lawyer says - this is almost too much for words - I tried to write a letter about it, but I kept getting incoherent (I mean really when I can't think of a better way to say something than 'takes the cake" it's time to look for a new job HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA - fuck laugh or go right fucking crazy like everyone else sometimes....). And this is the same guy that was in Canada a couple of months ago telling us all how we needed a National biometric ID card (both stories here - RM archive copy) - at a fucking fee of $35,000!!!!!!!!!! - it just boggles the mind, really - here is this guy speaking in Canada telling us that we are going to have to accept the fact that our government is going to torture people - no trial necessary because there won't be time!!!! - we just "trust" the same "secret spy police" who rounded up a whole bunch of "foreign looking guys with turbans" a few months ago and screamed all over the media about TERRORIST TERRORIST and then eventually had to let them all go when they actually couldn't prove anything at all beyond "possible" visa irregularities to be accuser, judge jury and executioner - and meanwhile, while THIS guy goes around Canada preaching things which no rational person would call other than hateful and gets invited back again to do it again, another guy who has done nothing worse than dare to say that there are some things claimed as historical fact that might, just might, be less than accurate - and we have HIM locked up in jail for hate crimes!!! - fuck I just don't believe it. I really don't. But it's happening. There has not been a SINGLE word of protest in the major Canadian media that I have seen in the few days since this story appeared - not a single one. Either nobody gives a shit that this "respected" (that's a good sign of how things are in the US and Canada both these days, that somebody like this is "respected") Harvard lawyer is recommending torture as a national policy, or people agree with him! - either way, another of the few threads holding me to this country and society - gone. I cannot possibly feel comfortable in such a place. Not that he says what he says - there's whackos in every country and village - but that NOBODY evidently feels his words are a bit out of place in Canada today. Scary as old fuck.
A very well done article on the banking fraud in Canada (and the world) - Banks and Usury RM archive copy - follow Mr. C's link back to his home page - a lot of good stuff.
Re the "success" of the "unite the right" movement and the "new" "CPC" - it seems to me that every fucking one of these MPs should retire, if they had any integrity at all (HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! STOP IT STOP IT!!!!! AN MP WITH INTEGRITY YOU GO TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!) - NONE of them were elected as "CPC"-ers - some were elected as "Alliance" and some as PCPC - and shouldn't the voters of their ridings have some sort of right to expect that whatever platform the candidates ran and got elected on, they would be expected to follow during the time they represented the riding??? .....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - man, I just realised what a stupid question that was!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, obviously IN LAW they are expected to do no such thing at all - it seems to be officially part of the Canadian Democratic Process that we elect people on the basis of a bunch of promises that they are in no way at no time obligated or even expected to keep (this has been tested in a court of law at least twice that I am aware of, and the judge in both cases basically laughed the plaintiffs out of court, calling them (politely, sort of, for judges, who can say pretty much what they want with little fear of censure) fucking idiots for believing any political promise from anybody). I have thought this before about MPs who switched parties in midstream, without apparently even considering asking the voters who elected them if they approved - but I guess I am still stuck in those tired stupid old loser ideas of "democracy" thinking stuff like that - the modern democracy elects "leaders" who do what the fuck they want because we elect them to lead!! and they are all so much smarter and more honest than all us poor slobs who elect them anyway, that WE certainly have no right to question their superior judgement in things - hell no, we should be thankful we have such wonderful people looking after us - ain't that why we pay them so much?!?!?! (fuck when is somebody going to invent a "dripping with sarcasm/irony" font?!?!?)
fuck I better stop before I puke - looks bad on the screen.
Anyway, regarding this new "conservative" party (you really gotta bracket that word, since these far right Republican whackos have about as much right to the word "conservative" as Chretien and the Libs have to "Liberal" anymore) - actually, it may actually be a good thing, since I HOPE (far from a sure bet) that a lot of Canadians will see them for what they are, and their joining forces will have sort of a reverse synergistic effect (I think they were hoping for the reverse HAHAHAHAAAAAA) - and their voting share combined will actually be less than their voting share separately - which, after people start to realise that the current Libs are actually the party of the "Conservative Right" in Canada (they don't have a lot of "right" to the word Conservative either, but I'm not getting into all that "right" now!! HAHAHAHAAAAA) - and this new "party" (more an official Republican lobby group for the Bay St Boys - again for later!) the FAR right, a place few Canadians want to be politically, propaganda and brainwashing aside (showing there is limits to what can be accomplished through these techniques, at least in the relatively short term) - there is going to be a rather gaping void in the political "center-left", if our current parties who occupy that ground (all of them slandered viciously by the mainstream press with labels like "leftist" and "socialist" - terms which the voters have been taught to associate with things like "damned commies" "state control ohmygod bogeyman horrors" and so on - if we had a truly FREE press in Canada (AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!) there would be at least ONE major media outlet talking about how most Canadians are effectively slaves to banks (can you REALLY quit your job?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAAAA - and the government is totally complicit in this slavery, as seen through the great scam of the "national debt" through which something like a third of ALL tax dollars go straight from the taxpayers to wealthy "investors" (labelling them the Parasite Class would be a FUCK of a lot more accurate - but then we don't have "accurate" journalism in Canada HAHAHAHAAAA) can get their acts together enough to take advantage of it - as I have noted before, Jack Layton seems to be making some good moves in this direction, if he can just realise that the NDP cannot do it all themselves, and it is absolutely necessary to get the other major players on board (i.e. the CAP party, who have already indicated their interest in joining with the NDP - it is stupid of Layton that he is not receiving them graciously, quickly and publicly (if he is doing something I have missed, my apologies!)), the Greens, David Orchard and the rest of the disowned true Diefenbaker-MacDonald Canadian Conservatives of Canada, the major non-capitalist NGOs like the Council of Canadians, etc). Time will tell. We do not, unfortunately, it appears, have a fuck of a lot of it to waste, sort of like calling a board meeting for next week to discuss the cabin boy's crazy idea that there is some iceberg out there we're going to hit in ten minutes if we don't turn - hopefully we will have a more positive outcome, but the signs aren't all that good right now...).
- of course, we cannot ever forget the Great Canadian Democratic Media HAHAHAA - they are as ever on the bandwagon talking about "the United Right", absolutely determined that Canadians will carry on believing that the Libs are somehow or other "the Left" in Canada, which, after ten years of Chretien-Martin is really a notion too ludicrous to comment on seriously - but that's what the media want people to believe, and by fuck, as we used to say, that's the story and they're stickin to it.
- another strike against "Party Politics" and the parliamentary procedure based on it I didn't think of before when I was criticising them, but was reminded of when a news story said that after Joe Clark and a couple of others had said they would sit as Independents rather than join the new "party" - and for this small showing of integrity, they are to be treated like Independent MPs are treated - things like less money for research, less time for asking questions and participating in House debates, less chance on committees, etc (that would also include a lot less time participating in
junkets to interesting places in the cold months in Canada at taxpayer's expense HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAsorry!!!! working trips abroad, but since I have also said that I don't support a whole lot of that either, I suppose I shouldn't suggest they should get more) - anyway - I wish someone in the government would explain why it is that EVERY MP is not treated the same, regardless of party or lack thereof - if the voters in riding A (for Anarchist HAHAHAHAAAAAA) clue in to the Party Scam and send an Independent rep to Parliament, why are those voters considered second or third class citizens compared to the voters who are lucky enough to guess which party is going to win the election and elect the person running for that party as their MP???? How in the fuck do you equate that kind of thing with "democracy"???? (HAHAHAHAAAA - rhetorical question again !!! I KNOW it has no relation to democracy - but neither does almost anything of what our government claims to be democracy anyway!!!))
- why does the word "fuck" initiate the sort of instant repulsive phenomenon in so many people that it does? It's a very interesting question (one of the many they don't ask in the education system HAHAHAHAHAAA just TRAIN people to accept), and I think it has a lot to do with chains and boxes, in an allegorical or symbolic sense - one of the rules in the box that they try to hammer us into throughout our "growing up" years and eventually succeed in doing for most of us is that "nice" people don't say FUCK, at least out loud in public. It is NOT instinctive - we learn language - and thus we learn the rules of the language - and as far as language goes, fuck is just a word, like love or eyeball or penis or sexual intercourse or kill or violence or bomb or bullet or any of the other 600,000 odd words in the English language - yet kill kill kill does not arouse anywhere near the level of repulsion that fuck does - why do people react with nothing more than curiosity when someone shouts "GERBIL!!!!!" or "ALICE!!!" in a crowded place - but with frowns and disapproval and perhaps just a smidgeon of alarm when they hear someone shout "FUCK!!!!!" - if an adult hears a smaller person or child shout FUCK they often feel morally obliged to go and tell that person that they should mind their manners or something, or parents smack their kids - but WHY!!???? - Think about it - what training has gone on here, and, more importantly - WHY!???? It leads to some interesting places. Like get out of the box!! Don't let them control your thinking - mindless obedience (at least for people who are supposed to be "adults" in their community or society) NEVER leads anywhere but bad places (at least for the mindless - it is, I suppose, often quite a lot better for those in control HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!). Violence is offensive, in any way and at all times. Hurting people and stealing from them is offensive, and should not be tolerated by any civilised society - but look around you, and listen to what politicians are talking about, and what you see on the tv every day, how much violence is tolerated and to which you are lulled into acceptance of by seeing so much of, but how they all won't let you say FUCK out loud even though that perfectly expresses what you are feeling - and think about - they tolerate a great deal of offensive things in our society - but get all self-righteously offended when someone says a simple, common word like FUCK to express something. It bears a lot of thought as to why this happens. And then a lot more as to why you let them dictate things like this to you.
- maybe it's spreading!! - I have been reading a very good American writer named Molly Ivans for awhile - her assessment of the general situation is pretty right-on - but I have never, that I recall, heard her using saltier language than the odd "damn" or "hell" - but here - The Uncompassionate Conservative - she rather liberally (HAHAHAA) tosses around that goshdarn ol "f"-word!!! (Good column in general about the Bush, one of her favorite subjects - she writes from long experience, as she is a Texaner herself, and has been following the family antics for a looooooooooong time, and is equally well aware of the corruption the politics of that state runs under (as well as the whole country, of course). well done, Molly)
- I mentioned a bit back a Newsletter by one Dave McGowan, concerning the so-called "sniper trial" in the US - here is part 3 - NEWSLETTER #47 - December 8, 2003 - The DC Sniper Trial, Part III. A quote, concerning WHY he is doing this, that relates to a lot of stuff I have been writing about myself: "....Others have wondered, as did one recent letter writer, why I am "so distracted by this obvious distraction." To those readers, I pose the following question: Do you honestly believe that court proceedings that successfully erased the line between crime and 'terrorism,' establishing the legal precedent that domestic criminals can be labeled 'terrorists' and treated accordingly, is just a distraction? Or have you perhaps mistaken John Allen Muhammad for Michael Jackson?...."
- and a VERY good column I want to mention The Selfish Generation - well written, about how the modern society is turning its back on simple civility, which is so very very important - I have noticed myself often, and it spurs a lot of my anger which spurs the writing - but this lady, writing from the Guardian in England, expresses it all ever so well. Read it and think. Please. And a related one along similar lines from another good writer - A Vanished Dream, on how we are losing sight of so much that is important, bending ever deeper under the weight of consumerism and materialism, losing our humanity in the process.....
And a final bit of food for thought - Crime, terror flourish in 'liberated' Kosovo - Ethnic cleansing, smuggling rampant under UN's aegis RM archive copy - recall, if you will, the Great NATO Humanitarian Campaign a few years ago to bomb the fuck out of Yugoslavia because that fucking MONSTER Milosevic was "ethnic cleansing" the Kosovans - it was all a lie, of course, as has been proven (the UN investigators sent to document the "mass graves" of "god knows - ohmygod - HUNDREDS of thousands!!!!!!" found less than a couple of thousand of bodies, many if not most of whom were fighters of one sort or another, and not a single actual "mass grave") - and the Milosevic "trial" at the Hague being kept out of the news because, against all odds and fixes, he is making the "prosecution" look really, really bad, and the fix ever more evident (in a JUST world, the NATO leaders would be on trial HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA) - but the thing is, why is this sort of stuff just forgotten - why are those responsible not held accountable - why is the NATO leader of that atrocity being heralded as a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination for the President of the US elections next year? Again - why does nobody seem to give a sweet fuck that this stuff happens?!?!?!?!?!!! - we are NOT going to achieve a decent fucking society here until this sort of shit stops - stops because the people who perpetrate it are held accountable, and NOT allowed to do it again and again and again - as they are doing right now in Iraq. And that means, of course, that we stop being led around by the fucking nose by our politicians and their media, and start to think for ourselves.
Fuck. Time to stop - really crazy ideas - people thinking for themselves, while watching 8.2 hours of television per day HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the confluence of these two stories - Martin slams U.S. ban on bids for Iraqi contracts; Manley suggests aid halt and Bush asks excluded nations to forgive Iraq's debt - man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh fucking man.
Maybe those tv watchers are smarter than I thought - Bugs Bunny is probably preferable to exposing yourself to what actually is going on here. The loonies really have taken over.
Please let me come home soon - I can't take it here much longer.
They killed John 23 years ago this week - Dec. 8 1980. Aren't we a great fucking species. Kill Kill Kill (and that's ok to say in public - but not FUCK FUCK FUCK - isn't that interesting....)
I was standing in front of the old family home talking to an old girlfriend, future up in the air, no fucking idea what was going to become of me HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA - funny how we remember where we were when we hear about certain things. I was standing in almost exactly the same place, actually about 17 yards down the street isn't that interesting, seventeen years and a couple of weeks earlier when I heard they killed another John. I didn't realise then what it meant. Now I realise all too fucking well ........ I think there's one beer left .............
I once had a girl or should I say she once had me
She showed me her room, isn’t it good, Norwegian wood.
She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn’t a chair...
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
We talked until two, and then she said it’s time for bed.
She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh
I told I didn’t and crawled off to sleep in the bath.....
And when I awoke I was alone, this bird had flown
So I lit the fire, isn’t it good, Norwegian wood
George Orwell: During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
"I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth." - Morpheus
- and insofar as this grasshopper understands it, so it is.
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.” (Upton Sinclair - great writer - reading stuff like this helps understand how the problems of today are NOT new!!! - and is a clear indication of the truth of the old saying that he who does not know history is destined to repeat it, or whatever)
"Your failure to be informed does not make me a wacko." — John Loeffler
Write if ya want (ya gotta take the xxx off the front - I'm trying to reduce the intake from the spam assholes (oh yes you fucking are - it is NOT amusing - get a fucking life why don't you, instead of bothering people. Fuck.)).
What direct action did you take today to do something to get rid of corporate
government in Canada? Do you feel that it was enough, given the situation?
Will you feel content telling that to your grandchildren, should they survive,
and the country, and the planet?
So much left to say, so little time to say it in - probably only a few months until the next federal election - do you want to try to save Canada in that frantic four weeks when big Paul drops the writ and EVERY friggin advantage is his - or would you like to start now, when we have some sort of outside chance? Canada for Canadians Coalition - get involved.